PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAA SCP8 Offer
Thread: IAA SCP8 Offer
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2009, 17:14
Blockla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Staffing Plan in any ANSP = joke... IAA is no worse than anywhere else.

Job security: I'd suggest at the end of the course it would be highly unlikely that any successful trainees would not be offered a job; unless the great FAB projects swallows the IAA (Shannon in particular)...

I'm currently a contractor (like the duck) at the IAA; I'd bet good money I would be going home before an Irish national was rejected with essentially (albeit trainee status) the same qualifications... Additionally most of the contracts will be expiring about the time the course concludes... Then there are the countless retirements between now and then...

Getting paid to train is IMHO a necessity. Having to support yourself/family/ beg from friends and family is a huge ask for most people; especially for so long. I heard the other day that some people (possibly, most people) initially rejected the offer on the basis of pay. So interested in the truth behind the offer... Company possibly re-thinking the no/low pay option, might be worth holding out for a better offer (but a risk if you're keen)....

StephenM_SMC don't right off shift work re going to uni... It's possible... Essentially 2 years before you'd work "real" shift work anyway... Also from what I've seen the IAA thinks these types of things are important for their business going forward so they may even support you to obtain your quals; depends where your at I guess, certainly worth and e-mail/phone call to find out.

RE SCP7: many approaching ratings this or next twist, second wave hitting the "field" as we speak... So 180 "contact" hours to go for them... AFAIK, no body has missed out during the first wave of "field" training.

Underdog, you're in an unfortunate predicament. Leave a 'sound job' and risk all to get a shot at a better job (can you get a career break?).

I would say go for it; but only if you can get by for the next 5 years with a lower wage than your on now (making huge assumptions)... It will pay off in the end if you are successful, remember many people aren't successful... Not sure what the wipe-out stats are in the IAA school, but it can be over 50% in some places... The IAA certainly isn't the worst ANSP to work for, trust me.