PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Victor Airborne (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2009, 12:06
VictorPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has it finally died?

Back to the screen again after a great holiday, and 4 crazy days.

Catching up with correspondence in this thread first, people should remember that this run was to be to only 100 Kts. The selection of take off flap was for both aesthetic and technical reasons. I wanted a brake parachute fitted so the aircraft was properly configured, but I would not have streamed it as with that cross-wind it could have put the aircraft into a dangerous swerve as it deployed, and it would have almost certainly taken a door off when jettisoned as the shackle would have been pulled out sideways. ( Known Victor problem) I have already commented on the landing on the grass, and out of interest, the ground was quite hard and the wheels did not significantly dent the surface. I am surprised that anyone thought it would have been better to fly a circuit.

Considering that the videos have been on YouTube for about 4 months, and the CAA concluded their investigation at the begining of August, I was very surprised when the South West News Agency called me on Monday afternoon to talk about the video on YouTube "as a follow up". Having talked my way through it briefly, they wanted a picture to go wth a press release, and said they would get a freelance photographer to call round at 6pm. 6pm came and went, but at 7 a reporter arrived having travelled from Bristol! After going over things yet again and some pictures being taken, he set off back to Bristol, and my parting words were "E Mail me your draft copy so I can check it for fact, and I will bounce it straight back to you." I stayed up late but nothing happened.

7am in the morning, the phone went, and ITN were on to me, talking about the Mail On Line article. For the next three days I was innundated by calls from the BBC, radio stations, national and local newspapers and all - even some of my friends got through! I kept saying it must be a quiet news day, but everyone said "it was a great story"!! Well it was a great story when I read the South West News Agency version on the Daily Mail site, the problem was it was factually incorrect, quoted things I had never said, and was totally sensationalised!! I dont blame ITN or the papers for what they presented, it was the News Agency who "spun" it, presumably to sell it! I only just caught the BBC 6 News that covered it, and did not have time to get my recorder on, and I cannot find it on i player. However, I think it was by far the best including the shots in 715's cockpit, the nosewheel steering, control column, and throttle box. It never mentioned avoiding the spectators (FGS), avoiding housing developments and villages (UGGH); they gave a very good run down of what actually happened. Well done BBC for responsible reporting, and not messing with the Chris Evans show dialogue. I wonder if anyone recorded the 6 O'Clock news version?

Going back over it all - dont believe what you read in the papers!! Also, I think it interesting that the "spectators", "Villages", and "Housing Developments" were included, when none were involved or in danger, and I certainly did not mention them. My guess is the News Agency were tipped off by a "Local" - there are several in the Bruntingthorpe area who want the airfield closed down, and this could have been trouble making. However, what wonderful publicity the Cold War Jets have got for free!! We have already started planning a "Bigger and Better" Open Day next May, possibly including that "tin thing"!

Any volunteers prepared to help? We are desperately short of people who can work on the jets propulsion, electrics, hydraulics, and airframes. Just an afternoon a month would be a great help. See the website.

Best regards Bob

PS I am going to start a new thread "Were you on Victors" - if I can find out how! The Vulcan guys have had it their own way for too long!!