PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford Students
Thread: Oxford Students
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2009, 07:08
damo1089

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pprune is so entertaining sometimes...

I go to Oxford, because of Feehelp. I dont have 80K lying around, sure they charge through the roof, but I dont have 50K either, so it is the best option for me.

I don't know anything about other flying schools, GA or whatever else outside of Oxford.

I dont think that using analog instruments over the PFD is harder, or easier, just different.

I know that there are no G1000's in the bush, and yes, it is a bit silly people getting too used nav moding everywhere, which is why I personally like to avoid it. I want to be the best pilot I can be, and watching a blip of a plane follow a line all by itself for an hour is not very beneficial, our 182s apparantly fly their own circuits

Also, I for one know that it will be a very long road to the airline career which I am ultimately aiming for, and can see the ignorance of some others in my course. But who cares? Everyone will learn that it is not an easy road, and that shiny screens are not in every plane, whether they learn this sooner or later, really dosn't matter does it? The people that can adapt to new aircraft and new environments, step out of their confort zone and put in the hard yards will be the most successful, and yes, some of the people in my course will probably be unable to do this. While I praise the introduction of the feehelp option, it has attracted people who are very unmotivated, that just said to themselves "that'll do." At the same time, it has attracted people who are not rich, who are cherishing every moment at oxford, because it is giving them the opportunity they thought would never come their way.

At the moment, i'm just having fun, and enjoying the journey while its nice and easy. When it gets harder, which it will, i'll adapt accordingly. I am also enriching my life with as many alternates as possible, contingency plans, if you will. If I can't be a paid pilot straight after my course, I will not be working in Hungry Jacks as someone mentioned above, but will find a job which involves one of my other favourite activities, whilst continually searching for someone to let me fly their King air on my 200 hours.

...Only joking, I bet some of you 'experienced' guys got your head banger all ready when you read that one. haha!

At the end of the day, it dos'nt matter what kind of pilot you are, we (all us males, sorry girls) are all having exactly the same conversations with pretty ladies all around the country, and continuously enjoying their reaction to the fact that you have the hottest job in the world.

Also, I think ppruners need to relax a bit. Who cares if people disagree with you? No need to get all up in their cyber grill. Just go with the flow man, go fly a plane or something

Oh, and while im at it, on my half yearly pprune login sesh, I might as well have a crack into cyber world: What the hell is wrong with a facebook picture of you flying around like maverick himself? It's a pretty cool thing to be doing IMO. If I didn't fly planes, and saw a facebook picture of someone flying one with a 'headset strapped on' as our friend above put it. I would think 'mad, that kid flys planes' Obviously, when i'm where you guys are, I will be thinking "hahaa, what an idiot, hes excited that he is in a plane, like I once was, because he is flying one for the first time, like I once did, and DEFINATELY thinks that he will be in a 747 tomorrow, like I did.' *starts crying*
Here is the harsh relality boys: I will deny your friend request! Bet you didnt see that one coming from your window, from which you cant even see the wings of your plane.