PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford Students
Thread: Oxford Students
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2009, 11:47
flypy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You've used a lot of words there to say "I have no fkn idea" soseg...

wwejosh : I did a bit of training at Oxford/GFS and know quite a few of the current instructors, so I understand your dilemma.

It really comes down to what you think or hope you'll be doing afterwards. If you're going to be an instructor and hang around at Oxford or MFS or similar, its not a problem, and you'll be placed in good stead with your experience.

If you want to go bush, you'll need to spend some time on standard gauge aircraft. Operators will have their own preferences, but even for your own flying standards and safety, you'll need to get out of the ********-proof full size GPS and train your eyes where to look for stuff, especially moving from the tape style Airspeed and Altimeter readings to circular gauges.

The thing is, if you do want to go bush, you'll need to do some 206/210 time or similar anyway, which Oxford dont have, and which are very rarely G1000. Alternatively, if you do your multi endorsement at Oxford you'll be flying the Semen-holes which have steam gauges.

As for the SOPs question, I wouldn't worry about it. You'll probably use some sort of SOPs through your career even in GA, so some exposure to them is not negative.

Lastly I would say, just remember there is a big wide world outside the rather cushy Oxford environment, where you have to do more difficult things than land a leather-seated G1000 on a big wide tarmac runway, so if you get the chance, get some other experience.