PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus suspends pilots & ops (merged)
Old 5th Jun 2002, 00:57
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts
Dear Idunno,

Let me put it as simply as possible. I was not attempting to draw comparisons between AI and Ryan, only commenting that the media and general populace will. If you trouble yourself to read my original post you will see words like, "I know that is an unfair comparison". You will also see that I muse upon the fact that - should EI fail - the fare paying public will only realise too late what they have. If that is not sympathy for the airline business, then I am not sure what is.

>A) Ryanair do not operate long haul heavy crew routes. Does that mean anything to you?
Of course they don't. Did I say that they did?

>Probably not...but who cares, eh...least of all you I expect.
I am concerned that you think I said things that I did not. The dispute is primarily about long haul and the turn around times for crew. Management want to move from 13 to 10 hour turns on long haul, to realise savings. Flight crew are concerned at the way this could impinge on saftey standards. Crew are also concerned that management is not making enough cost and head count savings on the home front. I stand to be corrected.

>B) The mainstay of the Aer Lingus medium haul fleet is the A321/0. None of the 'no frills' companies have ever bought an airbus aircraft.
So I understand. They have different requirements. One of which is that, there are more flight crew qualified on Boeings than anything else (for obvious reasons) and that will save them costs in their recruitment and operations.

>Do you know the reason why...or the implications that has for crewing?
If I do not, I am sure that you will be so kind as to tell me!
>Thought not.

>Get down the back and just drink your G&T you numbskull.
I think that you meant to say, "Welcome aboard and thank you for paying my salary."
Thought not.

To show, further, how the issue is being played, this from The Independent:
There is little public sympathy for the pilots, whom most people think are mollycoddled. Confidence in a once-proud symbol of a small, independent nation has all but vanished. Little wonder Bertie Ahern, the Taoiseach, had to tell Mr Walsh and the pilots to "cop themselves on"

Last edited by PAXboy; 5th Jun 2002 at 01:07.