PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VBA Multiple EBA Woes
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2009, 02:57
ad-astra

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ABC1

Whilst I accept that the AFAP representation does have its issues (as all Unions will) it always amazes me that individuals forget that "THE FEDS" as they are usually referred to are in fact the pilots themselves.

When I hear a complaint on the line about whatever issue I very rarely hear that the matter has been formally raised with the AFAP, on most occasions the individual concerned could not even bother making a simple phone call to Melbourne.

Much moaning was made recently regarding the assignment of unwanted leave yet was the AFAP asked to intervene on a pilots behalf to prevent being forced on leave? NUP!

Much moaning was made with the recent 'musical chairs' yet was
the AFAP asked to defend a pilot who was being advised he was redundant? NUP!

If a pilot chooses to accept a position not of his choice without requesting AFAP representation then I find it very difficult to listen to some who accuse the AFAP of "inept representation".

With the assistance of messrs Cut and Paste your statement -
"Please do not try to exonerate the inactions and subsequent injustices contained herein with a lackadaisical retort"
is rather poignant for those who choose to do nothing except complain after the fact!

Pilots really are their own worst enemy sometimes and are more than happy to blame someone else for their own inaction.

Your criticism of the awarding of shares to the board from the recent equity raising may be valid but do you really think that it is the job of the AFAP to keep control of management remuneration? Perhaps you are confusing shareholder rights to employee entitlements.

This question was asked previously of you (without response) -

"I am interested to hear what union you believe can genuinely represent you."

I too am very interested in that answer and specifically who and how any other representative body will achieve any better.

This "new" representative body that you advocate will have what membership, what assets, what name, what structure, what power, what legitimate standing, what abilities that the AFAP does not have now, and what new ability that will represent all pilots?

For all the critics of the AFAP and its representation - we have an EBA through to 2012 that I think would be unachievable today (some 737 Captains earning over $250,000), we have retained ALL pilots within the group despite the downturn and with commitments to return to original positions when the opportunity arises, and we have continuing opportunities both Domestically and Internationally for all pilots.

Sure we have more work to do industrially but this glass is half full!

Last edited by ad-astra; 6th Sep 2009 at 02:13.