PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gusty conditions on approach
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2009, 16:17
Maoraigh1

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Approach speed has nothing to do with touch-down speed. In calm air, I often fly 120+ knots on the approach to a 2000m runway, in a Jodel 1050, letting speed bleed off at roundout for a full stall touchdown. This allows me to fit in with commercial traffic.
Flying in to a 600 ft altitude hilltop airstrip, with wind reported over 20 knots, and gusting, at my 31 ft altitude departure airfield, I approached higher, and well above the recommended approach speed. I hit the downdraft and turbulence, then the windshear. Adding power, I landed comfortably on the upslope, using less than half the strip. Going round would not have been an option once into the downdraft.
See this FAA accident report. for severe gust conditions. http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...05LA112&rpt=fa
I have been told by instructors on Pa28/38 check outs that the approach should be stabilised by 200 ft. In gusty conditions, in a lightweight taildragger, I reckon I’m stabilised once I have 2 tiedowns secure, or the wings through the hangar door.