PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gusty conditions on approach
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2009, 12:31
gasax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which is all true. But for the sake of this argument it is about the stall speed and the 'usual' approach speed and then suitable factors.

The Cubs original POH is possibly as irrelevent as most permit aircraft as it was done in a new aircraft, at minimum weight with a 'hotshot' test pilot. It will not meet the original POH figures. (which was partially why in simpler days they could transfer to a permit!!).

I presently fly an aircraft which can 'approach' at anything between 53 and 75 kts. 53 represents the 'guidance' figure of 1.3 x Vs with flaps. At that speed it trims out and quietly flies itself into ground effect.

On a gusty day apart from not being as stable, it gets closer to the stall than I prefer (only 12 kts margin at 53) and has less gust penetration ability, so less flap - the corresponding speed increase and then the plus 5 usually cover it up to about 30 odd knots and means flying at 65-ish.

As it is a trike I would be happy flying in a fair bit more wind and adding Pace's number of half the gust. But even a trike wil need help on the ground manoeurving in those winds.