PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NJS-717s ?
Thread: NJS-717s ?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2002, 03:15
sprucegoose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
qanpulse, perhaps I have missed your point but if Qantas wanted a Dash8 operation why didn't they fold the lot into Eastern. I don't see how having Impulse and NJS operate 717's is any greater expense than having just Impulse operate the type. If QF is out there leasing 717's I would think they could put them with either carrier if they so chose. All the manuals and training material already exist, NJS would just have to adopt the existing Impulse system. Thats synergy among the operators and I've worked where that has been done in just the same manner. I recall getting a bollocking on this forum about two years ago when I suggested that in the long run all the QF regionals would end up under one banner. What you are seeing now is the beginning of that IMHO. In another 5-10 years there will likely be only one QF regional operation with one turbo prop type and one jet type in the fleet. Also one board of directors, one flight ops department, one cabin crew department, one pilot seniority list with grandfather clauses to protect the pilots already there from moving backwards, one AOC, one head office ect. And it will be far better for the pilots on the whole as there will be a labour group of sufficient size to have some bargaining punch in the labour relations arena. Also IMHO NJS Airlink will most likely be folded into the Impulse operation over time as this process see's itself to an inevitable conclusion. I really don't think the pilots and FA's have anything to worry about but the management positions at NJS that are supported by the Airlink contract will become redundant in time. IMHO of course.