PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gusty conditions on approach
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2009, 20:52
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello, Lister Noble.....

Sounds like you manage your flapless Cub very well at your local field. It is the local knowlege that probably keeps you safe.

I have lots of hours in my Super Cub, lots of takeoffs (tugging) and lots of landings, and there comes a point when I say No Way Jose! A headwind is all very well, just float down and sit there until help arrives, to walk with the wing back to the hangar. Or take a heavy passenger, that helps you stay on the ground. It's the gusts that are scary, especially the ones from unexpected directions.

Twice I have suffered the embarassment of a ground loop; one time a gust from an earth bank caused an uncommanded fancy maneuver. Fortunately without hitting anything. The second occasion was at a small "International Airport" that shall remain nameless, number 1 on approach with a 737 as number 2. And rolling out got clobbered by a gust from 90 degrees, ended up stuck in the mud with the tail in the air, while the 737 had to go around. And around. Only luck prevented damage. It just ain't worth it, in my opinion. You don't want to bend it, really.