PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gusty conditions on approach
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2009, 10:35
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 knots or so will allow you a little margin when you fly into the 'hole' behind the gust front

Gasax I am not a taildragger pilot but apart from the differences in placing the aircraft on the ground fail to understand some of tnhe reasoning placed in this thread.

I can only presume that pilots of light taildraggers only fly in mild wind and gust conditions. there is nothing wrong with that as flying for pleasure doesnt mean going off in heavy wind conditions.

There are pilots who fly for pleasure and pilots who must. There is a big difference between flying in winds of 10 kts gusting 15/20 kts where you can add a ballpark figure of 5 kts and flying in winds of 25kts gusting 50 kts or greater and dealing with the windshear in those situations.

I would love to hear from a taildragger pilot who must. A heavier taildragger like a DC3 in heavy winds?

Beagle mentions large aircraft and inertia. true as are jets engines spooling time and the need to pre judge thrust increases.

But a large ship ploughs through waves. A small boat rides with every ripple
Low powered aircraft can be thrown to the ground by wake turbulence taking off behind a heavy. Light aircraft can easely hit sinking air and are unable to climb out. So light aircraft are very much at the mercy of windshear and gusts.

Flying from the lightest to heavier aircraft is all about energy management from the aircraft engines to the airframe.

Fly close to the stall and hit a severe downdraft and you will end up stalling or in the trees.
1.3 times the stall plus half the gust factor is a good rule of thumb for the threshhold speed and higher on the approach. Speed is your saviour anything less and you are in the lap of the Gods.

Pace