PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gusty conditions on approach
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2009, 07:40
gasax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've a reasonable amount of experience in light taildraggers (350 odd hrs). Adding the gust speed and various increments of 5 knots concerns me somewhat.

A number of the aircraft I've flown have flap limiting speeds which are well below the likely end number resulting from this arithmetic, add in real gustiness and damage is a real possibility.

In an L4/J3 this is not a concern, but carrying too much energy into ground effect can be. Yes I do add some speed when it gets gusty (not when it is windy unless it is a strong crosswind) 5 knots or so will allow you a little margin when you fly into the 'hole' behind the gust front.

A light aircraft like a L4 will not fall out of the sky when the apparent wind drops, the 5 knots is plenty to give you that bit more energy to fly through. (different if you fly into an area of curl over turbulence - only ground effect will save you there).

Aim for a wheeler landing and once the wheels touch gently hold them on. If the wind is gusting across this is your last opportunity to see if it is sensible to land (yes I know you're on the ground - but you still have enough energy to open the throttle and just lift off). If you can keep straight without using the brakes it is generally safe enough to close the throttle and commit to 'landing'. Keep the tail up and be ready with the brakes. As the tail falls, you will probably need the brakes (the rudder's effectiveness reduces as the speed falls, when you can no longer hold the tail up, the rudder will be equally ineffective so this movewment is a good signal) and one good brake application is generally enough. If you arrive with more speed then you can become very dependent on the brakes - not a good idea in any taidragger let alone with a Cub's bladders.

Then you just have the challenge of taxiing to where ever you need to go - which may be more difficult!

I have a vague recollection that 'Stick and Rudder' has some very good illustrations and descriptions.