PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus suspends pilots & ops (merged)
Old 3rd Jun 2002, 18:15
Captain Stable

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quite so, Baily.

I do not wish to work for an airline that is about to sink financially. I will not work for an airline that is so desperate to make a profit that they will quite blatantly erode safety margins.

"Management" is about leadership. You enthuse your workforce to the point that they are as committed to the future of the company and its success (and the means of obtaining those goals) as you are. In a revolting cliche, you ensure you are all singing from the same hymn-sheet.

You do not see yourself as the captain of the ship up on the quarterdeck, the pilots as the galley-slaves who need to be whipped just that little bit harder before you can go waterskiing.

If AL cannot function commercially within safe limits, then it is probably better that they go down before they have a severe and fatal accident.

However, I doubt that this is the case, and I would not wish unemployment on any of their staff. Instead, I would suggest that it is probably time they re-evaluated their entire cost structure and their investment in their least replaceable asset - their crews' training and experience.