PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lufttransport søker B200 styrmenn
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2009, 08:31
Guttn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Life boat, there are several sides to being a commander. The obvious one, for both employer and pilot is the responsibility laid upon ones shoulders. But this grows on you, so it shouldn`t really be a big issue. Then, of course there is a rise in salary which is never a non-welcome item for a pilot. But, one thing that a lot of pilots forget (or might not even be aware of), is that a commander is "more worth" than the trusty F/O. Why? He can be used in both seats, and the company has now spent a sum of money getting him in the left hand seat, ergo they would like to keep their investment. An ATPL also follows a command position (with the exemption of small operators), which also is "more worth" than a CPL. Not sure if LT gives their commanders the ATPL ride, since they operate the Kingair (yes I know they have a couple of Dorniers as well). And for the pilot, it`s basically he only step in your career (I`m includng instructors in the commander pile here), unless your goal is a management position in flight ops dept.

My impression of LT? Only good! They fly ambulance contracts (10 year contracts, no?) all over the country, and sometimes into the EU. Pay is good, especially considering their on-off schedule, and I`m sure they have a good pension scheme (yes, people actually stay there throughout their career). Couldn`t ell you any details of the payscales, but from what I understand they are not bad. There is a lot of standby, but that`s the nature of ambulance flying.

Good luck to those who apply!