PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPLs or MECIR??
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2009, 01:46
AnyGivenSunday99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An interesting thread indeed....

I agree with the Goblin and morno. Wise words chaps....

eocvictim, I am interested to see what experiance you are basing your judgements on, ie, how many years have you been in the industry, hours LEGITIMATELY logged in the book (No multi crew 747 you flew on flightsim with your buddy sitting in the kitchen next to you) as well as your airline recruiting experiance, etc.

jmoody - firstly, congratulations on the CPL. I remember mine well, it is a wonderful feeling. And well done also for not resting on your laurels, and looking ahead to the future. Having said that, you will recieve ALL sorts of advice from everyone on here, and including mine, i remind you to take it with a grain of salt and do the things that are right for you.

My advice - NVFR and initial multi are needed for your MECIR. Both are handy if you need to ferry somewhere late, or if you have an early start the following day. I know a lot of bosses are happy for you to do either (schedule and F&D permitting) to allow you to build your night hours. As for the twin, there are sometimes opportunities to do VFR twin work (very rare, but does happen). Either way, when I did my MECIR, it cost me extra time and money cause I didnt have either. Had I known then what I know now!

As the Goblin said, you can not go wrong putting a tick in both boxes. I would suggest doing the atpl's and IREX first while you are still in a study frame of mind. It is impossible to try and study when you are are flying 6 days a week. A CIR might just save your life when you are smashing around in your single and get into a spot of bother. ( Hopefully this never happens as you'll be too smart to get into that situation).

As far as getting a job goes, it aint easy, but that's what makes it all the more rewarding when you get one. You know there are two routes to choose -charter or instructing. Instructing will cost you another rating, but you get to be home with mummy and daddy, in the big smoke with all your emo mates. OR, Charter will cost you a plane ticket to the tin pot town of your choice, a swag, and a pair of thongs (include padlock if you are going to leave them outside in the NT). You wont have Mum and Dad, but you will have your new brothers looking out for you while you scare yourself stupid daily during the wet season, and advising you on the correct usage of Loading System Kilo during the dry. Have a good attitude, and be prepared to do what it takes (except working for free) to get there.

Either way, it is the hours in the book, and your attitude that will get you into the airlines. I would suggest to you not to be in such a rush to get there. Take the time to enjoy GA for what it is. A time to learn your craft and hone your skills. Use each flight to focus on something that will make you a better and safer driver. Enjoy the friends you make that are going to be mates for a lifetime. You never know when one of them is going to call you to tell you about a twin job they have sorted out for you. My GA charter career (cant speak for instructors) has been the biggest adventure of my life. I have been to many places, seen things the average Joe will never get the chance to see, and made some of the best mates a bloke could ask for. Wouldn't change a minuite of it for quids!

Best of luck buddy. PM me if you need some more advice.

AGS99