PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Qantas 737 wing inspection lights on for take-off
Old 1st Sep 2009, 07:56
maggot

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
If it's SOP then you're snookered, BUT I would have though some airmanship would dictate you switch it off if it's about to blind some poor guy you're taxiing past. I'm yet to see a company that doesn't use the taxi light, yet most guys usually switch it off if you're approaching head on as a courtesy until you've past!
people talk about airmanship etc in this regard, saying turn the thing off but I'd suggest that there are bigger fish to be fried on that flight deck. It's not really the best place to run it by the skipper/explain why you aren't following SOPs (on the bloody rwy!). There are more important things going on for that crew (on the bloody rwy!) like, such as, R/T with ATC regarding line-up, t/o & departure instructions - then conferring any changes, a few other doozys our company make us do as we line up "lining up, 16R Foxtrot int." "confirmed, takeoff data checked", yep, better arm the runway update and turn on the strobes, reply to ATC clearing you for takeoff, confirming that with the skipper, ooops, better confirm that runway update to execute, and don't forget the ldg lights as the skipper hits TOGA and yells "handing over"! And thats on a straight forward day - yeah, I wanna add something extra in there, just to complicate things a little more...

This policy is clearly far from optimal, as all this butthurt indicates. And it's probably worse by a 737 as those lights are very bright and at a bad angle (would love em as a taxi light, a little better than the 'torch'), but do you really think assuming these blokes(&blokettes) are just being arrogant and venting on pprune is the best strategy? Man up and put in some paper! Give the suckers in the office some work to do!

/rant. (bloody EPs study!!)