PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing Evidence That The Upturn Is Upon Us
Old 1st Sep 2009, 04:12
Penguin68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I've shorted the FTSE today over the next 6 months at £9 a point. This suckers gonna blow."

brave

I agree its headed seriously south again before the real bottom and it ought to happen in October as usual BUT your downside is presumably unlimited (?) since you are short and the market is anything but rational. If enough fools think it will go up when Abby Cohen, CNBC etc. says it will it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy and they turn out to be geniuses. The summer rally WAS exceedingly hollow (in the US it was 70% HFT algos) but the volume (i.e. retail fools/geniuses) are coming back now.

Good luck. The safer bet is to sit on the sidelines until we're back to the March lows (or lower). It will be interesting to see if Goldman is brazen enough to publicly 'dump' the market in this political climate, having 'pumped' it. Of course, they're probably already telling their most favoured clients to short already and its interesting that corporate insiders have been heavy net sellers throughout this suckers (?) rally.