PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another L@zer W@nker Busted
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2009, 21:05
Captain Sand Dune

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble is, the ADF don't want them. These days they want good kids (and adults) with a proven track record. Most of the ferals wouldn't pass the fitness test.
Correct, corect...and...correct.
However I think the ADF's objection would be more of a financial one. Remember, the ADF does what's its told by the government of the day. Bringing back National Service now would require massive funding. The ADF just couldn't do it within their present budget without basically shutting down their present operational activities.
Nevertheless I would support the return of a National Service if it were adequately funded. However I don't think there's the support for it from the general populace, and therefore no votes in it.
Persoanlly I'd prefer to see them put through a proper diversionary program with the aim of stopping anit-social or criminal behaviour than banged up where they will quite likely come out worse.
I understand where you're coming from. This is the approach the Australian judicial system has been using for many years now and it should work. But I don't think it has. In my opinion an increasing number of Australians would support an tougher approach to punishment of criminals across the board.