PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Navy J31's
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2009, 14:39
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
I assume that it is designed for the purpose rather than a stone age weather radar from the 18th century which is almost completely unsuitable for a SAR role
That made me laugh Tourist. Not quite 18 century but I think this year is the 50th birthday of the radar. Still EW190 I take it? Must be one of the oldest pieces of kit in service.

I remember it was important that the 9 RPGT Indicators had Mod 21 embodied, which removed the fan, as 9 going at one time was deafening. Removal was possible because the original germanium transistors were upgraded to silicon. THAT says it all about the radar's vintage. I seem to recall the RPGT was to be extended; an extra 4 student and 2 instructor consoles. ISD was meant to be over 20 years ago. Don't know if it happened.

The 16 Mk2s were to have been upgraded with ASR360 radar, which was specified for the Mk3. But, that was spectacularly unsuccessful and the retrofit was cancelled, leading to the Mk3s becoming Admirals' Barges. The knock-on effect upset the RAF who had to retain the EW190/290 series as well. At one point a 2 Star blotted his copybook by visiting Emerson Radar in the US and saying "I want that (colour/processed) radar". This constituted a verbal contract which was just a little embarrassing.