PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Night-HEMS accident in US
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2009, 22:40
BV234driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accident rate reduced by technology.

What limits-

Won't discuss point 1, since I don't operate in the HEMS side. I could offer opinion, but it wouldn't be worth much.

Point 2: years of statistical data, and actual hands on experience in older models and glass cockpit also- not in flat safe areas either. 90% where large helicopter catching devices like mountains, antennas, wires, extreme DA and weather, blowing dust landings, etc exist. The technology can and will save your life- IF used correctly. Some guys can fly to 50 AGL on three axis, some to a complete 40ft hover hands-off, but in areas without any navaids, then what options are there without technology? What else would you suggest?

Not that it's a total replacement for things- like I see happening.

And NVGs- what's the ambient light amplification? It's been a while, so someone needs to help me out, but it's well more than a couple thousand times. If I follow your logic, then visual technology isn't important... I'll begin wallpapering my windscreen and chin bubble immedately.

Again, I'd venture three sets of NVGs costs less than that AW.

*There are inherent dangers when operating WITH NVGs, particularly dimishing weather, but there wasn't any visibility problem that night from the report as I recall. Only darkness.