PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Greek Fire Fighting Aircraft crashed
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2009, 16:32
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There HAVE been some highly published crashes of hi-time C-130s losing a wing during the pull-out....
I flew the C-130 in question, and the 4Y that crashed 3 weeks later. I obtained my FE certificate in the former, and my 4Y type in the latter. Again, cessnapuppy has no idea what he or she is talking about.

T-130 didn't fail during a "pull out," and wasn't high-time, either, at approximately 20,000 hours. T-123 was only at 8,200 hours total time. As for "crashes," as in multiple crashes of "high time C-130's," where did the others occur on firefighting missions? There was one other loss in Pearl Blossom, California, in 1994, of T-82. That loss occurred during level flight and not a time when the aircraft was "overstressed" or in a "pull out."

The fact is that the mountain fire environment can be demanding and sometimes unpredictable. Severe and extreme turbulence can cause erratic aircraft response, strong rotors and downdrafts, and significant stresses on airframes. It's part of the fire environment.

Another SEAT (Single Engine Air Tanker), this one an Air Tractor AT-802, was lost several days ago in Nevada, in the US. This happens, and while unfortunate, does not deter the mission nor alter the decision of the professionals who undertake it, to do so professionally and with dedication.

As for decrepid aircraft and all that garbage...it's got no place in a serious discussion about the industry. Fatalities have occurred, and will continue to occur, but this is no reason to badmouth the industry with unsubstantiated, emotional accusations which have no foundation in reality.