PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are you doing now, instead of Flying?
Old 28th Aug 2009, 15:02
Mach E Avelli

Received 170 Likes on 108 Posts
Plankbender, I too have thought about RAA instruction. I even have enough time in bugsmashers below 600 kg now to qualify! Also I believe that I have the interest to do the job and would probably enjoy it. Hopefully there is not the incessant pissing contest that exists in much of the airline check and training scene, and also in the GA instructional movement where everyone is chasing the next step on the ladder. Once pilots get to ATO level many become very territorial. Not to mention the CASA crap that goes with these appointments. Reduce the supply, increase the demand, ratchet up the earnings - potentially bad for the industry but it's good business for the ATOs.
On the other hand, if RA instruction pays (say) $40-45 an hour, you would need to fly 1000 hours a year to make a fairly meagre wage. At a more realistic 600 hours a year it is almost better to be on the dole.
I can't imagine that the average recreation pilot who is learning to fly on a shoestring would want to pay much more than 50 to 60 bucks an hour for dual, and assume that the school would take their cut - hence my estimate of what it would probably pay.
However, as a means to avoid raiding the super fund and defer oldtimer's disease for a bit longer, I may yet do it.
Alternatively, maybe put my motorbike skills towards becoming a postie for more money and less bullsh!t?