PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sea Jet
Thread: Sea Jet
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2009, 21:39
MudRat_02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On a similar subject, I can't be the only one wishing the Invincible was sold for peanuts or given to Australia, rather than rusting away...

Mind, from what I've heard she has a lot of expensive refitting to do, though that would bring her up to modern standard.

Choice of aircraft would be another matter, but the R.N, U.S - Harrier 2+, or possibly even the Indians might be willing to sell - the R.N. still have a few, used for ground training.
I think at one stage we were going to grab one of the RN's old aircraft carriers, but unfortunately it looks like that didn't happen. There has been plans, but ultimately we haven't had one since we flew A-4's from HMAS Melbourne. I think the RAN will soon get one that is capable of operating fixed wing aircraft, but don't have any planes to operate from it (the F-35B STOVL is on the wishlist but I can't see it being approved). In all likelyhood its going to be a boat of 'rotorheads'.

So how does the F-35B fare in comparison to the SHAR anyway? Seems like its a much more capable and modern aircraft and the natural successor to the current STOVL capability of the Harrier, but last I heard you guys were considering opting for the catapult-launched F-35C instead?