PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So where are all the jobs then?
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2009, 19:25
Finals19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enough thread creep guys! I really don't care a rats a*rse about somebody's grammar (there are more essential things that would exclude them from getting a flying job!!)

To re-iterate, and at the risk of repitition, THERE IS NO MONEY ANYMORE IN AVIATION. Give it up now if you think thats an incentive. The only money is the money that you shell out in vast amounts over the years. I think most guys end up doing it initially as a passion, and in the later years because they have fallen into the vicious trap of not being "employable" to do anything else - for all the reasons cited here.

I am far from some twentysomething. I've been in it about 7 years now, commerical for about 5, and have really made sweet FA. However, I have had some wild and amazing flying experience and none of it anywhere near a jet. Money? - Its a concern, and has been echoed here, one that you really should think about, because its gonna affect your life aspirations - big time. By this I mean family, relationships, the lot.

I don't think I'll ever be rich in this game and acknowledge that. Luckily I don't think you need a 100K job to be happy (unlike the rest of the world around me it seems) But a little forward planning in the early stages will prevent it sewering you in your thirties / forties when things like kids and family become a priority and the job (should) take a back seat.

Personally, I think running into a jet job is a crying shame - you miss out on the real flying experience that smaller operations offer - raw hand flying in all wx is really where you cut your skills. I wouldn't have done anything different.