PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are you doing now, instead of Flying?
Old 26th Aug 2009, 04:07
CoodaShooda

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
40 Deg South

You could almost be the yin to my yang. There are disturbing similarities in our having children looking for careers in aviation and dreams of retiring to a pleasant instructional role.

However, over 30 years ago, I had the choice of pursuing a professional flying career, with the option of either commercial or RAAF - or staying with the very comfortable Government pay cheque.

Sadly, I listened to the doomsayers. You'll remember them. "No employment opportunities." "Once you're 26 the majors won't look at you." "Oil crisis." "RAAF reducing flying hours." etc etc etc. So I sentenced myself to 25 years with Gummint and 11 years and counting not with Gummint.

Could I have made it as a pilot? I apparently had the technical skill. The DCA examiner who conducted my RPPL flight test rated me as being at CPL standard and I passed a BFR on my first flight after a 20 year break. Whether or not I had the strength of character, I'll now never know.

By any measure, I've had a successful career outside aviation, still have wife #1 (and only) and we've raised three fantastic kids. Had our ups and downs but thats life wherever you are.

But there's always, always been a feeling of discontent at the opportunities wasted and the dream of one day..............................

Its what brings us sad ol' couldabeens to pore over the aviation magazines at the local newsagent, to look up at the merest hint of a sound from a passing aircraft and to nervously enter the hallowed portals of Pprune like junkies looking for that next fix.

Its also why I'm grabbing with both hands a suggestion from my company that I regain currency for my licence and start flying around the Territory, rather than continue to drive as I have up until now. There's been a silver lining to the introduction of the 130 km/h speed limit after all.

So, watch out world, coodashooda may soon have to rebadge as cooda-issa.