PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vortex Ring / Settling with power (Merged)
Old 25th Aug 2009, 11:32
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that if you look at this thread (below) and some other related ones that you will get the impression that the statement "using heaps of power will pull them out of VRS", is Fallacious.

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/280...wk+vortex+ring

I have no doubt that many pilots who had never got right into VRS thought that it was power that pulled them out anytime, and maybe the story has mistakenly gone the rounds or many briefing rooms.

I know also that elswhere on pprune that we have discussed the phenomina of being able able to "flick it out" with a quick pull on the collective before VRS actually develops to the 'sphinter (spelling?)tightening' stage.

That techniques has nothing to do with power, but everything to do with awareness, reactions, and plenty of pre-emptive training, and just quietly, being able to get the damm collective down again real quick like.

I believe the technique carried strong endorsement from many experienced types here at the time. I just want to impress on newbies that it is fraught with disaster if you think that you will rely upon it without the right training.

It reminds me of an article in one our CASA safety digests many years ago, headlined; 'Mustering is for the highly trained'.

So don't do this sort of thing with your family car I say. seek help to explain, it's out there.
cheers tet