PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are you doing now, instead of Flying?
Old 25th Aug 2009, 10:54
Plow King

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Left full-time commercial flying in '02, and after a couple of odd-jobs returned to the family agricultural enterprise, as well as studying a viticulture degree part time. Still manage to keep just current enough to be dangerous, thanks largely to a couple of very charitable individuals that let me have a steer every now and then.

It was the single hardest decision I have ever made to commit to another vocation; I will always miss flying for a living, however my current work situation provides a flexibilty and security that aviation didn't offer at the time. I will make a more regular professional contribution to aviation when my work/family/study commitments stabilise, but for now I count my lucky stars every day that I've got a job I enjoy, a great family life, and I can still maintain my passion for flying.

There were a lot of boxes that never got to ticked regarding things I wanted to achieve in flying, but in reality the list was too long to be completed anyway! Fortunately I've got some good mates who I can live vicariously through - those who get to experience things most people just dream of.

Size is not everything, commitment and passion are!
I cant wait to teach SEVFR, I'll leave the MEIR to guys/girls trying to move up the ladder. As long as there is aircraft to fly in the day a ice cold beer and bull**** session after, my world is perfect!!
40Deg - when you're back here and instructing, let me know - when I need a BFR I think you'll be just the man!