PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are you doing now, instead of Flying?
Old 25th Aug 2009, 08:48
40Deg STH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In almost 30 years flying, I have been laid off 3 or 4 times from airlines and Corporate job. I'm still here.Planning on retiring only after 40 yrs flying, then plan to instruct at a lovely quiet country airport back in Aus. I may have a little to teach by then!!
Still got the 1st wife (poor thing). I thought of quiting a few times, but never could.
I got my CPL when it was said "you will never get a job", there weren't too many around then. You had to have 3000 pic and Senior commercial for a job with Hazeltons and 1000 hours for a scenic C206 job in the NT.
Swept more hangar floors than you can poke a broom at!!! Washing aircraft on a hot bush day was like paradise to me and then a mail run followed by a million beers with my mates who were doing the same. We would all then collapse in our on site caravans or back of cars and start another day.
Now have seen most of the world and now spend too much time away from my long suffering family, but they would hate me to quit, as they know it would kill me!!
I'm looking forward to instructing in a little over 10 years back home, but in the meantime will enjoy flying the 744 and jetlag!!
To say which part has been the best part to date, is too hard. I have loved it all. Size is not everything, commitment and passion are!
I cant wait to teach SEVFR, I'll leave the MEIR to guys/girls trying to move up the ladder. As long as there is aircraft to fly in the day a ice cold beer and bull**** session after, my world is perfect!!