PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Require info on the "national flight centre dublin"
Old 22nd Aug 2009, 12:57
whistling turtle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
''Getting your PPL in the U.S will cost about €6000, add on flights, accommodation, and all the other costs and you're not far off what it would cost in Ireland. Weston is busy enough by itself, and it's wedged in between Dublin and Casemont so it's good experience or so I'm told''

Gotta disagree with you there John MC about the above.
Did my ppl at nfc six years ago now and though they were pretty good overall it is far cheaper to get it done in the USA even when you do factor in flights to and from along with accomodation and food provided you go to a good school.
Like Frequent Flyer said the costs are exorbitant for a 152 and that dosen't even include the landing fees which were I think 2 euro when I did it back in 03.
So 5 touch and go's equalled another 10 euro's on top of the flight costs.
In most places in the US that wouldn't even be a factor.
The average hours for someone who was working diligently to get their ppl at nfc was 60 - 70 hours so already the 9000 euro figure can go out the window.
I don't think I even need to mention Irish weather though this summer has been a rarity in that it has been actually ok.
Weston in the grand scheme of things is not a busy airport despite what you may have beeen told - infact it has gotten a lot less busy in the past 6 years with the new owner. As for being close to EIDW and EIME that isn't much of a factor so long as you don't bust airspace and it gives a student a fairly basic level of r/t experience tbh.
Now all that said nfc are an ok school but f I had to do my ppl all over again I would look for a school with a good rep in the US and take it from there. That's just my two cents.