PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Para Dropping & Pay in GA
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2009, 10:22
see_my_slots

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a very interesting thread to read. Mainly because I am a pilot in Nz and it would appear from most of the posts on here are from Australian pilots due to the general gist being about working for free, or less than "Award".

Now, in good ol' NZ, we do not have an 'award' rate for our pilots. We have 'minimum wage', which is based on an hourly rate. It's $12.50/hour. We also have pilots working for less than this. "Why?" do you ask? Well, its easy. For those of us who are in a GA job with a reasonable amount of time (total, multi, ato AND ifr) it is somehow seen as a priviledge. Our bosses basically think that if we are only "on duty" for 4 hours and yet we have been working (albeit with a "rest" of 8 hours hanging around an airport terminal or somewhere just as fun with no way of getting anywhere else) for 12, we were lucky to get our 1.5 multi hours and that they are doing us a favour by giving us that....

Or we are on duty for the maximum 11 hours (ato) and yet still get paid the same as if we had only worked for 8. After 8 hours, most GA pilots in NZ are getting LESS THAN MINIMUM WAGE. Most of us are in that situation. Our bosses say, "But some days you only work 6 hours, so it kinda averages out". Once again, they think they are doing us a favour.

From what I can work out, under the award rate, my boss would be forced to pay me about $40k. Which, to be honest, they can afford. But there is nothing to make them do this.

Is this going to change? No, it isn't. Because we are all to scared of losing our jobs or not getting the flying if we kick up a stink. There is ALPA, but once again, too scared to do anything cos you don't want to be "That guy" and risk not furthering your career because you were the one branded a sh%t stirrer. The guys in the Airlines are just so glad to be out of it that they push it so far from their memory that they're not gonna stand up for us either ("I survived it, so you can too, son"). So we all suffer in silence because "thats what's always happened" and "one day it will all be worth it".

Unfortunately we all b%tch and moan and get ulcers about it and it is all because of these people who work for free, and yet we do it. Don't ask me why. I cannot tell you. Maybe we all need a bullet.

Be interesting to hear from other kiwi guys/gals on this...

Sorry, it's been a long day. I feel better now, though.

Unfortunately we all b%tch and moan and get ulcers about it and it is all because of these people who work for free, and yet we do it. Don't ask me why. I cannot tell you. Maybe we all need a bullet.