PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage predicted in 3 Yrs
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2002, 21:20
Mr Tickle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently met with someone well placed in the aviation industry who gave me (what I consider) a good opinion of what is likely to happen in the future.

Dealing with every aircraft manufacturer he is aware of their future plans and how they see the market developing, what he told me made me feel a bit better about the current situation.

There are already signs of recovery in the market and things are already slowly picking up. Airlines are placing orders for new aircraft (few years in advance though) and are expecting things to be nearly back to normal in about 18 months. Another interesting point was that a lot of companies are moving away from wide body jets and looking at ordering smaller regional jets to replace some of the retiring wide body fleet. more planes - more jobs!

Perhaps there is light at the end of the tunnel.......I just hope its not a train!

Hopefully in a couple of years once the more experienced pilots have been soaked up there will be hope for those of us who are planning to emerge onto the market in the next 2 to 3 years. It’s not all peachy at the moment but its definitely not all doom and gloom.

Anyway sod it, its what I'm set on doing with my life so I'm just going to get on with it.

See you all up there.