PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot's Job Threatened For Restricting Extra Lavatory
Old 31st May 2002, 19:15
flapsforty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So why are you all so harsh on this hapless bloke?

Don't know about the rules on AA, but since sept 11 we have a rule in our mob that says "no unsupervised passengers allowed in any any galley areas nor in the area immediately behind the cockpit".

A sensible rule, right?

Catch is that while some pax or other always has to use the toilet located in the galley area immediately behind the cockpit, the company has not issued us with an extra FA to police the galley. And they still expect us to give the passengers the same level of F&B service.
In effect that means that the new and sensible safety rule is not enforced because NOT giving the service would immediately lead to complaining pax while not guarding the galley only comes to attention in case of a mishap.
If the sh!te does hit the fan via an unsupervised pax in that particular area, of course the FA's will get a whole load of manure dumped on their heads for being too stupid to stick to a simple safety rule.

The link doesn't work for me, but from my point of view (which of course might be totally off since I don't know AA procedures) this Captain has merely made sure that sensible procedure gets enforced, instead of expecting his FA's to accomplish the impossible.
By making the announcement that he made, he effectively took real responsibility for safety instead of paying mere lip service to the idea.

Good man in my book, and one with a fair idea of what goes on behind his locked cockpit door.
Wish our captains made that announcement on every flight.