PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilatus Porters in Oz , PNG + NZ
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2009, 13:23
aseanaero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
one would really want a few hours in a tail dragger before being cut loose in the mighty porter.
You wouldn't need heaps of tail wheel time , maybe 10 or 20 hrs tailwheel time would be nice as the Porters a bit of a pussycat as far as tailwheels go and has a nice lockable tailwheel.

I did my initial tailwheel on a Pitts S2A about a year before the Porter came along (it was all that was available for training at the time locally) and had a few brown stains on the undies during the Pitts training. I had about 30 hrs of Pitts time (23 hrs solo) when it came to get endorsed on the Porter and the Porter was a lot easier to handle in comparison. It took me 3.5 hrs for the Porter endorsement which was mainly emergency procedures , short field take offs and landings, crosswind landings and lots of circuits until the CAA examiner (who was an ex Army Porter pilot) was happy I had the hang of it.

All of the other Porter pilots at our DZ did their initial tailwheel on the Porter but spent 8 to 12 hrs training as it had to cover their tailwheel training.

If you look at the Porter accidents in the past (excluding fuel and weather) it's usually forgetting to reset the trim before take off where it's a good chance that the Porter will kill you or inadvertently going into flight idle at 30 to 50ft on approach where the Porter would go into a slight beta setting fall out of the air (this happened to VH-CZC and put a big crease in the fuselage).

---

Last edited by aseanaero; 21st Aug 2009 at 21:45.