PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Archerfield - (FTA or AAA) ?
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2009, 00:34
Tinstaafl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A little further away but you could also consider Redcliffe Aero Club**. It's not that far away via the Gateway. They have a good range of aircraft in good condition. Some are new.

No matter what, DON'T pay up front. There is nothing that any school offers you that can't be gained at another school while paying piecemeal or in minimal amounts to cover an impending flight or two. Any more and you risk losing all your money if (when!) the school experiences financial difficulties.

If you're so sold on a particular school that no other is close and they insist on lots of money up front then only - and I do mean only - consider them if you can establish a trust account with a financial institution that requires your authorisation for them to debit the amount. Otherwise walk away.

I've been in aviation since the early '80s eventually becoming a Chief Pilot and Chief Flying Instructor two and three times, respectively, before moving overseas. The list of schools that are still extant is small compared to those that have closed. I can't think of any school that's closed with everyone getting their money back.

Regarding aircraft types being mixed or uniform: In the early stages of training uniformity is a good thing. There's a steep enough learning curve without chopping & changing the environment. Later, when skills are more developed, variety will extend skills. Although presentation is nice, underlying maintenance & serviceability is more important.

Later: In keeping with the trend of this thread, I should add that RAC don't require up front payments. Payment at the end of the flight is expected although you can keep any amount you like on account with them and have the amount debited after each flight instead. Entirely optional and you won't pay any extra by paying piecemeal.

**Disclaimer: I used to be an instructor at Redcliffe Aero Club in the late 80's to early '90s. From what I've read on PPRuNe over the years they've been pretty consistent with satisfied students. Their fees have always been cheap(er) compared to Archerfield too. If you train there it's worth joing the club for the member's rates.

Last edited by Tinstaafl; 21st Aug 2009 at 19:52.