PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 18 year old Trainee Pilot for Flybe
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2009, 08:20
potkettleblack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those mocking the pilots who have accepted CC jobs, just bear this in mind. They are already on the seniority list, as it is based on date of joining. That by my reckoning, gives them a significant head start over any of the sneering Maccy D workers when the flying training eventually kicks off, as they get preferential first dibs on base and fleet, and will almost certainly be several months closer to flying the E195 than any of their compatriots.
I take your point but in reality seniority in an airline like Flybe is not much use unless these kids aspirations are to make a career out of flying a TP and stay put.

These 18 year old kids more than likely want to fly jets - and big ones at that. When the market picks up they will be off to BA, Virgin, BMI, Emirates, Ethihad, Cathay, Easy and all the usual suspects just like they have done since adam was a babe. Considering the guys ahead of them on the seniority list will be moving onwards and upwards as well then they would have naturally moved ahead of the pack in anycase if they are taken back at the front of the queue when Flybe recruits next. If it was me in that position then I would take a hold pool and my seniority and be trying for a better paying job elsewhere with a fallback to Flybe. I would send a copy of Flybe's acceptance letter to other operators in the hope that I would get an interview elsewhere since I was good enough to pass the entry tests at Flybe. Its been done before believe me.

Showing a willingness to work in a role other than what you were originally hired for is just making a rod for your own back and giving management the ability to push you around. What next - fly a few months a year and do ground operations when the winter schedule comes in? Or maybe just work the summer as a contractor like the CTC guys. Its all getting a bit FR if you ask me and needs to be nipped in the bud before this sort of thing becomes an industry wide practice.