PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reasons to scream 'Mayday' out the mic
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2009, 20:31
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when to holler mayday?

Crossing water in a 172, abeam the Florida panhandle, having filed IFR, it came to my attention that one of the fuel gauges read full, the other one read empty! This caused me to lose my concentration a bit, so I wandered off track. Center observed my deviation, and enquired

"November 43885, you are 20 degrees off track, is there a problem?"

"Well, actually, I may have a problem with fuel......" (wondering if perhaps there was a wasp nest blocking the air vent, or gunge in the fuel, or some such..)

Center came back with relish at once. This could make his day! With eagerness, he enquired "Would you like to declare an emergency?"

Well, the engine was running fine, I wasn't lost, and it was still right side up.
"Not at this time, thank you".

"Would you like to proceed to an airport? We could suggest Tallahassee"

"Thank you, that sounds like a good idea." Being over water, I was at my customary maximum altitude of c. 11,000'.

"November 43885, heading 350, descend to 3,000 feet" instructed the controller.

"Negative! If I'm going to be a glider, I want to be as high as possible!"

"Roger, November 43885, we have cleared the airspace for you inbound to Tallahassee from eleven thousand feet down to the ground!" What a sensible controller! When I had the airfield within 172 final glide, I came straight in, to be greeted by all the fire engines etc, who followed me to the fuel station with care and solicitude. Of course the only problem was the fuel gauges, typically wonky in a Cessna. You notice things like that when you are flying over open water. . . . .

I did call a mayday once, but that was in a boat. It does get their attention.