PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Para Dropping & Pay in GA
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2009, 05:18
lk978

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"do you realise you have just called all the wonderful volunteer pilots at Angel Flight Scabs. They are apart of an organisation that fly for free, actualy they fly at a loss. Or do they fall under one of your technical loopholes ?"

If you read my earlier posts i point out that i have no problem with people flying non revenue flying activities for nothing (parachute clubs, real clubs that is)

For a small local club operation that charges member enough to cover cost of A/C then they try and locate a pilot willing to give up a day or two every now and then, It is important to remember most of them are club members who jump as well trading off some slots for flying loads. I personally have no problem with this; I liken it to a gliding club. However there are some clubs that don’t distinguish the two areas of the operation.

I would suggest where these operations exist that you ask for a fee per tandem of which they are making money from. If they are just using you for your licence and you’re not a club member who jumps, I would find alternative ways of getting hours where you will learn something more valuable. Because all they see you as is an elevator operator.

The main problem is when it is a commercial business generating up to $900 revenue per load for a C182 and even more for the larger aircraft for a tandem operation. Now $20 - $25 for the pilot is not much to ask is it?

I have had this very same conversation many times and I explain it to operators like this. If you want your Commercial operation to be in the hands of a 200 hr pilot with no one to watch over them or teach them then go right ahead and pay them nothing because that will just result in poor standards and a lack of enthusiasm from the pilot.

If you want a professional bunch of pirates then it will cost (not allot by any means) but still the same you will have people that you can trust to operate your machine without all the jumpers looking over his or her shoulders telling them not to stall the plane, which is a growing trend with senior jumpers and junior pilot’s. One quote that me off is the mentality that they have sat in a plane for 5000 jumps that means they have 2500 hrs... give me a break. I have flown with some jumpers who have 5000 jumps and they go and learn to fly and dont fly like a 250 hr pilot, it comes back to time on the tools not watching better homes and gardens.

I would also like to point out to operators that there is a massive difference in flying a C182 and C208 or Twins. Not so much in the ease (Caravan wins hands down, way easier than the 182) of flying but the decisions that come with larger aircraft and especially if flying IFR. A concept skydivers dont seem to understand .

I have flown for a commercial skydiving operation before and was paid well above the award. We had a number of pilots all with well over 1000 hours and 100 on type. 2 years and no incidents or U/S aircraft (got to love those cessna’s). We had a formal training system and it worked very well.

Also just remember some people fly 1000 hours and some people fly 1 hour a 1000 times hence why training is important in any organisation

Look it comes down to personal choice... go for your life fly for free and lets see the respect you get from other pilots, and if you don't care than good luck.