PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Para Dropping & Pay in GA
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2009, 02:48
KRviator

Received 122 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by GADRIVER
Krviator and the rest...probably best you lot stay out of the industry. People like you ARE the problem
No fear of that now. I was in it, started washing airplanes at 15, and began flying not long after. Decided it wasn't worth the heartache of moving up north for X years with no gurantee of promotion, all the while fighting with every other low-time CPL holder for that first hour of twin time. As I said before, I chose to put my family first and got a job that probably pays a lot more than some, maybe most, regional captains straight off the bat, and now I fly what I want, when I want to. Which to me, is what flying is all about.

Originally Posted by IK798
QldPilotGuy I am sorry for my post i thought that they were realy just trying to wind people up... I didn't think there was anyone that naive.
I paid for my railway Safeworking school. So does that make me naive? It got me the job I wanted - and after discussions with the supervisor who hired the 5 of us, I was #2 out of 150 applicants because I'd paid for the safeworking out of my own pocket. Different industries, but the overriding principles are the same. The person who was ahead of me was already employed by a rail operator when he applied.

Originally Posted by IK798
Last thing I am going to say on this... feel free to go and fly for free, just remember.

1) it is wrong
2) everyone always remembers the person who fly's for free
3) no one respects you
4) someone has already sad no before you said yes

If you don't put your foot down for flying small A/C where does it stop?

you will always be the one who pays for endorsements, works for below the award, jumps over anyone for an upgrade, bitches about the other FO's to secure that command.

My only advice is to think hard about how much is the short term gain really worth.
My answer to that is I am in it for myself. I certainly don't consider myself a team player in that context, and as I've said before, my family and I come before anyone I work for - or with. IF that involves paying for an endorsement to gurantee the job, so be it. Pilots here appear to be one of the few groups of employees who believe the employer should pay for everything once you've got your CPL. Fair enough if you are already employed by said employer but if you aren't, I honestly don't see the heartache paying for your Chieftain, -8 or any other endorsement, if it will gurantee you a job. Time on type plays a part obviously -but of two identical CPL's, one with a Chieftain endorsement, one without, who do you think the employer will choose?

Originally Posted by Puff
The other question is if your flying for free at the parachute moab - where do you stop and draw the line. Your next job you might have no twin time - do you work for free there ?
If it was something along the lines of ferrying aircraft for the time, I'd be the first to do it, and I make no apologies about that. If anyone is going to give me time in an airplane that doesn't cost me anything along the line, then I'd take it.

Originally Posted by Puff
Name ANY other industry where people work for free for companies that are making income off the activity you are performing for free for them ?
The Australian rail industry has such operators. Not many admittedly, but they are there. Take someone in my shoes many moons ago, hanging around the airport washing airplanes. Never did get paid for it, but whenever there was a spare seat airborne I was in it. Should I have demanded payment for said work, or is it acceptable to "work for free" in this example?

Originally Posted by IK978
However the award is there to set the minimum standards for employment that is why they are there.
So, why are there GA operators in Australia that manage to get away without paying it? If everyone was required to pay the award we wouldn't be having this discussion. But they're not, and we are.

Originally Posted by IK978
yes you will see a decrease in wages just like you see an increase when there is less supply... it was only 18 months ag people where offering 70K for PA31 driver.
So, if you didn't have your Chieftain endorsement, do you honestly see a problem with going and paying for it yourself, at a cost of perhaps $5,000, to be more competitive for a job that pays $70K? Or is it just things at the bottom end of GA where this is verboten?

Somebody asked "How much is that short term gain worth?". I would rephrase that as "How much is that short term pain worth?" and answer it as a hell of a lot. It has been said there is no such thing as bad hours in the logbook, so maybe I really am "that" naive.