PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Horizon airlines? what are they up to??
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2002, 01:36
Loco's Smoko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few facts I know.

One Beech 1900 (VH-FOZ) has been sold to a company in Indonesia

The Other Beech 1900's are very close to being sold to a company in Canada. Apparently just waiting on the cheque.

Cooma has been informed that a Metro (reportedly from Horizon) will be operating in there from mid to late June provided that Horizon can get certain regulatory paperwork completed in time,
i.e. their RPT AOC.

Impulse staff are also being told that Taree will be serviced by the same company- Horizon.

However I think it important to point out here that Horizon is entering this operation at it's own risk. no funding will be given to it by Qantaslink. Ticketing will be through Qantas.

I put emphasis on the words at own risk. Think about it, if in Six or twelve months time if things go bad for Horizon and they cease operating on these routes, Qantas can still say they have never pulled out of a community without an RPT service.

If Qantas can't make money with a 19 seater and apparently not by a long shot than is it that likely that another operator can. Through in other factors like passengers in Taree only have to drive 45-50 mins to Port and jump on a Dash 8 with an F/A holding a warm cup of coffee in a cabin that you can stand up in.

Passengers in Cooma drive a little longer and step onto a jet in Canberra and fly when you want to fly. and if your going to ML or BN go straight there without the stop in SY.

Glen Innes and Inverell these people actually prefer to drive to Armidale and get the Dash which goes straight to SY rather than get up at 4:30 to Catch the Plane at 5:30am.

Loads of 1 and 2 are not uncommon into inverell and Glenn. a C206 is better suited to the run than the metro.

I'm not trying to put down horizon's chances I absolutely wish them the best of luck all I'm doing is stating what i know. never the less is good to seem them out there giving it a go.