PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you really want to be a pilot!
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2009, 08:01
FL999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think we should respect the people who have had to go the long way through GA before getting into that RHS. Their experience is invaluable and I think that has an impact on the way they fly the bigger jets. They will be able to anticipate situations that young guns fresh out of flying school wont. Experience is vital in the cockpit of a modern airliner. However I dont think that gives them the right to fire at Low-Hour pilots who have had the chance to get into the RHS straight away. You have to keep in mind that these low-hour guys mustve been really good(and lucky of course) to be handed the RHS so early, so its not only luck and I dont think that the 'battle-hardened' pilots have the right to talk about low hour guys like that because I think that they would also have been in that RHS early themselves had they had the chance! You also have to keep in mind that going the long way isnt always possible for everyone. It implies paying for your own studies and possibly your own Type ratings. I wouldnt mind at all going that way as I love flying and whatever I fly ill be happy...be it a Caravan or a 747. However this route is way too expensive and I live in a country where studying part-time while woirking is not possible as I would have to leave the country to get my training and the banks arent as generous as they are abroad. To get the loan I required they said that the net income in the house would have to be 3 times what it currently is. Thats why my only chance is a cadet program and if i make it through its not because I am lucky and rich or whatever stupid reason ive seen previously, its because im good enough. So im finding this Experienced vs inexperienced pretty useless. You each have your merits in your own ways and some respect for each other, for your FELLOW PILOTS, would really help us all enjoy and concentrate on what we love doing the most: FLYING! And also, shooting down low-hour pilots for experienced GA pilots just because there wont be enough stories to tell in the cockpit...is...well...honestly... Come on...

And back to what the topic was initially about, I think that having that passion for flying is essential, especially nowadyas during those tough times. Becoming a pilot just for money and glory is not what its all about. So many people are doing it without any knowledge of aviation, which shows their lack of interest. Even if at the start theyre clueless, they should show their interest little by little and eventually theyll get that 'virus'. I know some guys who had no clue what was going on when they started training but eventually loved it and were really keen to learn what aviation is all about. That is the right attitude in my opinion. Those are the ones who will become best!

Respect to all you guys out there, experienced, inexperienced and wannabees like me!