PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Para Dropping & Pay in GA
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2009, 06:36
SM227

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know where your coming from qldpilotguy, I too couldn't find a 'real job', after I exhausted my list, with not even a hint of me getting a job anywhere. I hadn't flown in months, and I was at the stage where I realised I need to take anything I can get, and for me, that break came when I contacted a small skydiving club. They would take me on but their would be no pay, but I didnt mind, how else was I going to get that 300-400 hours that all those places with 'real jobs' wanted, so I accepted.

Well, its great! They have a few older pilots that have a wealth of experience, and from them im learning heaps of things that are making me a better pilot, and some things that will probably save my skin one day! Im flying for a purpose, not flying around aimlessly in a rented plane just to get hours.
Most importantly, Im meeting people in the industry, and maybe one day soon, I might get a 'real job' with them. Skydivers are a great bunch of people, there friendly and have killer parties! so there is a great social side to it aswell.

Plankbender, I dont regret it, and I dont think im disadvantaging you at all. Im saving heaps of money by not paying for flying out of my own pocket, you call it selfish, I call it common sense. Some people just can't pay for flying forever, like you can. Im experiencing all these things that you are missing out on, and Im having a blast! I finally have a job in aviation, the dream has come true! and Im hoping its going to get even better soon when I get to fly a serviceable plane and get paid for it too!

So come on Planky, come on over to the dark side!