PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you really want to be a pilot!
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2009, 22:43
CraigJL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R.E the subject/initial few posts

To add a perspective from a young aviator:

I love aviation. I try and learn as much as I can about it, before, during and after flight. It takes up a lot of my spare time, reading documentation, studying media, reading forums (of course!), listening, and doing a little virtual stuff as well. If I see a plane cross the sky, I am intruiged as to where it's going, who they are talking to, the purpose of the flight. It takes up a big chunk of my life, but I'm not unhappy for it. I aspire to aviation, not for any kind of salary glory, or social status. The joy I get from the limited exposure I have is enough to ensure I will try my best to ensue a career in the field. Whenever I pass an airport, I wonder what it must be like to go through the crew section, or up the tower to start a working day.

I read a thread here many months ago, but one post stuck with me. It was from a supposed ATC, who claimed that he had no aviation in interest whatsoever, yet he did it because he was "damn good at controlling." It struck me as very sad at the time. A man completely devoid of passion for his job.

I know I'm not there yet, but I'd be in work everyday if I was in aviation