PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you really want to be a pilot!
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2009, 14:31
B200Drvr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Singapore Airlines along with us at CX put 250hr cadets straight into 744s, 773s and A340s. Chief Pilots that have worked for these airlines have selected the best possible cadets each year and the pilots I fly with have confidence in their abilities. I have already mentioned that these poor sods have to go into the sim once a month compared to us regulars who do it every 6 months. It is something I would never want to do and I have 10 years behind me. Are you saying these Chief Pilots that have graced these large international carriers over the years are wrong? How about the likes of KLM and Lufthansa?

Cmon, tell the truth now, cause this is only half the truth, they don't go onto those aeroplanes as First Officers, they go in as boy pilots, why, to get the required experience. Now, tell me how long it takes those cadets to become a Captain on a 777? By the time they get there, they deserve to be there. They will not be an F/O on a 777 before they have 1500hrs total time, thats just about guaranteed.
Cathay have 2nd officers with 3000+hrs, because they lack the jet, long haul, heavy etc time to move up, but they will move up WHEN THEY HAVE THE EXPERIENCE.
It is all about experience guys.