PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avcanada censorship
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2009, 04:48
Sulako

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The more I think about it the more it offends me to hear some random guy bleating about some random conspiracy theory - I put at least a couple of hours a day into AvCanada, checking posts, approving posts, filtering out spam posts and dealing with the thousand daily micro-dramas that occur on the site.

Hey there, whomever started this thread, I'm Sulako.

I'm a mod on AvCanada so feel free to vent at me if it makes you feel better about life. While I'm listening to you whine like a mule, I would like to take the time to let you know a few things about AvCan so maybe this can die down for a little while - it'll inevitably come up again, and it's usually a year or so between "AvCanada mods are fascist/communist/terrorist whatevers".

AvCanada is a privately run site. It's run as a non-profit, and there's no money for lawyers, so we remove threads that people complain about. If any one of you decided to be a complete doorknob and randomly write an Avcanada mod an email asking for a post to be removed, it likely would be, because we don't have the money to hire lawyers to tell you to get stuffed.

It's really that simple. And if you don't like it, don't visit the site. That seemed intuitive to me, but clearly I'm mistaken.

If I come across as hostile, it's nothing actually personal toward submitter - I don't even remember the name of whomever started this thread, but it's because we go through this on a regular basis in our forums and I just get tired of it. Being a mod is a pretty damn thankless job, but we really do try our best, because we are proud of the site and because we want to bring value to Canadian aviation. Now as mods we aren't robots, we are human beings, each with our own experiences and biases. Every single day there are about 100 things for us to do on the site, and lots of those are grey-area things, like moderating a thread that is about to go nuclear but hasn't yet, or moderating between two people having a fight in the forums, etc. Now let's mix a tonne of work with nearly a dozen mods on the site, and it's inevitable that some judgement calls would be made differently by different people. The thing that unites all the mods is that we are all a) unpaid, and b) we are all very proud of the site and of our contributions toward it. If you enjoy the site, great. If you don't, then that's okay too - life will go on for all of us.