PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F/O's on Jets (Line Training)
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2002, 15:51
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having worked many years in sales for a large manufacturers distributor, it was always a mystery to me why an owner would take a perfectly good set of manuals and procedures hard won from real experience and years of operation for a new aircraft in which they had zero experience, throw them in the bin and write their own set of prejudices using the bits and pieces that they thought were relevant.
I mean lets face it, what would the manufacturer know.

I know exactly how the Bombardier guys must have felt.
I still have the teeth shaped scars on my tongue from biting it.

After all the customer is always right you know, even when he is wrong.

I was watching the progress of the CRJ intro into KD via here and elsewhere and it was no surprise that they were having the struggle portrayed.

I can still the hear the dipsh!t local gurus comment after a Garrett Technical Reps superb presentation of the do and dont's in the operation of one of their engines to his pilots and engineers....... "oh well he would say that, after all he works for them, but we are still going to do it my way".
The rep was sent there at considerable expense by us, specifically because of our and Garretts concern for the reputation of their engine on our airframe, large numbers of which were being regularly trashed by that operator due to a complete lack of understanding of its operation by both pilots and engineers.
I was told by the then CP to "run along sonny, when you have as much time as I have I might listen to your bulls hit theories"

We actually seriously considered buying their equipment back.

Needless to say it wasn't his money and he and they went backwards out the door very soon notwithstanding that they were operating an aircraft that was a serious money maker for everyone else and saved us the trouble.