PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you really want to be a pilot!
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2009, 22:28
Zippy Monster

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry......your inexperience kicks in again....you assume that myself or others don't "fly jets" and that for some reason our experience means we can't fly a plane the way it says it must be flown in the SOP's.
I didn't assume anything... I was just trying to counter the assumption that all 250hr fATPLs are rubbish and unworthy. I already apologised if my response contained too much of a generalisation of the group to whom I was replying. Of course it would be ridiculous to suggest that those with thousands of hours experience in different types of aviation are unable to fly jets to SOPs, and I actually wasn't suggesting that at all.

Absolutely I agree I know far less than those I fly with - I wouldn't deny that for a second. I learn every time I go to work and I wouldn't expect this to change. I've lost count of the number of times I've been to work and thought 'crap, I should probably know that' about various things to do with flying. Does that mean my opinions are invalid though?

but do you really think you'll get in that left seat and not screw up ...even once
Of course not. You seem to be inferring from my posts that I'm on some sort of personal mission to promote one way of learning against another. This is absolutely not the case. Of course I expect that one day, when I eventually make it to the left seat (which I hope I will do), I will get many things wrong. Part of life is learning from your mistakes.

I don't want to drag the thread too far off track. The points I made were only ever intended to defend the general corner of the low-hour F/Os who were coming in for what I considered to be a bit of unfair flack. I would suggest however that in response to:

We have had the chance of screwing up in our flying before we got in the big shinny jets, that stops us making those mistakes (maybe) in those expensive buses. Where you guys may have to make your mistakes in them.
People make mistakes in them all the time - I screw up myself and I see others screwing up. We will and do learn from it. If the company thought the risk was too high, or generally unacceptable, they wouldn't let us sit there. It doesn't matter what type of flying you do, the time you stop learning is the time to call it a day. I just have a different opinion to those of the self-titled 'real pilot', 'real flying' etc. disposition. If we agree to disagree on that, so be it.