PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MPL at Alpha academy
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2009, 09:40
betpump5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The MPL at Clark that traveller is speaking of was the first and only FTO to offer the MPL that was not affiliated with an airline. It was teaching the manufacturers (A320) SOPs in the hope that the self-sponsored cadets would still be a proposition for an airline.

Many, including myself, spoke of their dismay at this and how this was not being scrutinised more at ICAO level - in terms of did they canvass the world airlines to see who would actually take on a self sponsored MPL cadet?

As we know all the other MPL courses in Europe have been partnered with an airline - i.e Flybe/FTE and the Danish Airline MPL.

The down turn in the industry coupled with the mismanagement of Clark (training aircraft not being approved and cadets being sent to another FTO for training due to lack of aircraft) brought further ridicule to the the FTO and the generic MPL.

From what I hear, the self sponsored MPL course is no longer available and the FTO has to revert to the CPL/MEIR for non sponsored MPL cadets. The Cebu Pacific/MPL course wills till be offered to sponsored cadets.

The batches of cadets who are self sponsored on the MPL whilst it was in existence are ICAO approved. In reality, this really means nothing in terms of getting a job. The biggest argument against the generic MPL being that cadets waiting for a job can not even build hours flying GA without further ratings.