PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates - Crew Discussions II
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2009, 12:35
ashlea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think EY gives us great benefits! I haven't worked for a Western carrier yet but you can't ignore the fact that all the negative news stories/articles about the F/As working for them (especially American carriers). I wouldn't be surprised to hear that EY crew are more secure in their job that any other airline (just as long as they are competent and on-time, heh). EY F/As were recently given the opportunity to take unpaid leave during a limited period, but unlike other airlines it was strictly OPTIONAL and not forced upon them.

As these individuals do not see it as a career unlike the crew who work for, LH,BA,AF,KLM etc.
I used to think exactly that, particularly as the average age of an F/A in a Middle Eastern or Gulf-based airline is typically much younger than the norm; there is no retirement package etc. But the longer I fly the more crew I meet that DO see EY as a valid career full of opportunity (not so much as cabin manager, but in management and training etc).

As for the rules being 'strict', it all depends on how you look at it. We will be offloaded from a flight if we should up to a briefing 10 minutes late, but isn't that a valid rule? When essentially everything is provided for us for free (accommodation, transport to and from work, next-day drycleaning) with a tax-free salary, I am often baffled at how the crew bitch endlessly about the conditions and the company culture. I know we have plenty of shi**y sectors and I don't like them anymore than the nextperson but looking at the big picture.. is it really *that* terrible?