PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 12th Aug 2009, 11:20
dave747436

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Protopilot,

I hold views which are unpopular with some, but if I am required to defend them I try to do so politely, respectfully and with a genuine attempt to see the other sides point of view.

For instance.... as a captain I value the CSD, and recognise that their people skills will often be far more sharply honed than my own. I frequently consult crew on issues where their experience or skills are more relevant than mine.

I personally would far rather the CSD did not become a working position, I think it may reduce their effectiveness at their primary task, PR.

I only share this with you in an attempt to show that I am not in the least anti-crew, quite the opposite in fact.

But I read your posts and shudder.

It may or may not be your intention, but your posts come accross as extremely aggressive.

You threaten ("BASSA will look into the possibility of refusing crew to go the the aircraft until the full compliment is at the report centre")

You gloat (""We'll show them" I heard ...that is until Willie showed them")

You are insulting ("You keep pulling your stick and flicking your switches")

And ignorant ("You guys merely drive the bus and have no contribution to the customer experience")

In short, you have a perfectly valid argument........
It is not my job as captain to undermine your agreements.

If BA didn't want any particular agreement, they shoudn't have agreed to it in the first place.

But in your attempts to get the message across you alienate 99% of your audience, many of whom would have agreed with you before you started typing.

I set down these thoughts only in an attempt to persuade you that your posts are counter-productive, and only make more likely that which you seek to avoid.

Your point is valid - moderate your style and other people may agree with you.

But as things stand you are doing your fellow crew a great disservice.