PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you really want to be a pilot!
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2009, 08:58
dbriglee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see where you are coming from, but correct me if i'm wrong (well i'm sure I will be)

But.....
In the days before this, the only real major way to become an airline pilot was to do it the modular way, PPL and become an instructor to get the hours up to a few thousand. ONLY THEN would you still only even be LOOKED at by an airline??! It was a struggle wasn't it??! There was no way of going to the airlines after a few hundred hours in a warrior/seneca and say, 'YES please give me a job'

Well, now, yes it has changed!!
I didnt start life of wanting to have aspirations to be a pilot to becoming an instructor and taking my time.
I wanted to aim for the top (ie a pilot of a big plane with responsibility), not working a life of an instructor.
When i had the opportunity of getting a career i took it. With both hands!.
I didnt turn it down thinking 'hmmm i need some more experience, i think i should instruct for a while'

If there were no airline jobs available when i were to finish training, i was considering an instructor course and doing that for a few years, no problem! Income to pay off the loan, and flying experience -invaluable1
I think anyone finishing courses, integrated or modular, are thinking this!

And quoting VANPILOT:
How many people " the paying public" would still fly on the low cost airlines if they knew that should the captain be not up to speed, they can have full faith in the 300hrs guy/girl that had the largest check book at the time.

well, in my experience, the more experienced captains i fly with, (a selected few i am saying) are so caught up in previous aircraft that they are unwilling to learn another type in completeness. They know the basics of course! New F/Os on fleets are more involved in knowing how to do things correctly, the up to date SOPs, the procedures at certain airfields, because they take time to learn them. More to do with reading things i suppose....

Captains are more experienced in the aviation world, with expected holding conditions, predicting certain situations before they happen, taking more fuel etc etc.

And we go together well. I will learn all those things whilst i am in the job!
(just like a new driver on the roads)

And talking about emergencies, with engine failure after take off, for example.
Would you prefer to have a guy who did his IR last year, and knows the THEORY behind what he is doing, and has a feel for the aircraft preventing overcontrol, and correct inputs for a balanced flight.

or maybe a captain who hasn't had a REAL engine failure drill (apart from the sim twice a year), since his IR about 20 years ago??!
I'm not slagging off captains AT ALL! Just giving an example of what 'experience' means to you.

Ironically!!! There is no desire for a selected few experienced guys to learn all you can about the aircraft, like i thrive for.
They have 'done it all before' . Which is the wrong attitude to have.

Yes, captains (NOT ALL THOUGH), would have better flying 'skills' than me i suppose, more 'feel' for certain situations.. HUDSON i suppose

BUT.... experience doesnt necessarily make you 'better' or 'safer'